Trekking the Ancient Haguro Road
Retrace an ancient pilgrimage route leading to the main shrine of the Three Mountains of Dewa.
Subeno is a location thought to be flowing with mystical energy. Prince Hachiko, known as the founder of the Three Mountains of Dewa, is said to have established the main shrine there on Mt. Haguro after his own repeated practice of asceticism. The Japanese mountain asceticism called Shugendo spread from there.
The trekking course runs along the Ancient Haguro Road from that spot to Dewa Sanzan Shrine.
There is a one-way, a round-trip, and a circuit course. When trekking one way, the group disbands at Dewa Sanzan Shrine and participants must make their own arrangements for return transportation.
Tourist site details
- Trekking the Ancient Haguro Road
- Hachiko Village, Ancient Haguro Road, Tachiyazawa, Shonai Town, Higashitagawa-gun, Yamagata Prefecture
- Business hours
- March–mid November (Sat., Sun., holidays) (When there is snow, snowshoes are used.) Time Required: 4 hrs.
- Guide Fee: 4,000 yen per guide for groups of 10
- Contact information
- Shonai Town Hall Tachiyazawa River Basin Promotion Subsection; Commerce, Industry and Tourism Section
- Telephone no.
- FAX no.
- Reservation required (May not be available, depending on the instructor's schedule.) The number of participants is negotiable.
The following Trekking the Ancient Haguro Road is also recommended.
Nearby tourist sites
680m from current location
682m from current location
856m from current location